Saturday, November 1, 2008

The three mistakes of my Life (Review)

Jay Gandhi
I am not an avid book reader, but I always have an opinion about the ones which I do manage to read. I recently had gone to Gujarat for three days. I knew that traveling will eat up many hours and hence I should have some source of constructive pass time. I decided to take along the book, “The Three mistakes of my life”. I have read all the books of the author Chetan Bhagat till date and hence I guess I have got a hang of how his algorithm of writing works. Enough of the background… Now I shall get started.

I feel that the protagonist of the book, Govind Patel can be any boy living in the city of Gujarat. I, also being a Gujarati can certainly relate to the way Govind’s mind works. The first best thing that Chetan does is make believable characters. The next smart thing he does is fits his story amongst the various major events that happened in India in last decade ex: India v/s Aus Kolkata, Gujarat earthquakes, Gujarat riots etc- these events not-being-too-old, are still fresh in the minds of Indians. So, the writer quickly calculates that

(Believable characters + believable events) is equal to Sure shot success. To make the pot-boiler more interesting, he throws in a romantic story track, a wonder-kid story track, a happy-ending climax and few amazing Chetanisms. Chetanism is a new term which I just invented after having understood his style of writing. He mixes a little charm with a little humor and garnishes it with grammatically apt noun forms. I know this will be a little difficult for normal readers to understand. I shall explain it though. Terms like:- no-internal-off-button, fathers doing PHDS on Indian newspapers, mothers asking their kids to eat more and study more, life being big optimization problem… etc easily separates Chetan’s writings from that of other authors..

Overall, the book is surely going to enthrall the Indian college youth. It shall appeal to all the people who love Hindi movies. It shall attract all the cricket lovers who don’t mind reading on a wet rainy day. The book will be read by all the BHAGATs of Chetan. I would suggest all the young people who do not like reading to start with this small book. The language is not that complex to understand, the scenes are believable. Grammar is itchy in certain areas. I can distinctly remember one error where sentence states India playing with SA. It should have been India playing AGAINST SA. Over all, the book is good pass time.

Chetan Bhagat is Karan Johar of Indian books… that’s all I have got to say…

My rating:- 3 on 5

- Jay

5 comments:

Sonia Prabhu said...

lol @ Chetan bhagat being the next Karan Johar.. that was the worst comparison u cud give.. anyways, yeah i completely agree with u. He does his homework quite well & makes believable characters & events as his story. He makes his audience relate to the story & with a tinge of dry humour that makes his readin enjoyable :-)

Sonia Prabhu said...

btw.. forgot to add the signature

- Sonia

:-)

Sonia Prabhu said...

haan 1 more thing, lend me the book na :) before any1 else asks u for it

Jini said...

nice review... ppl may find it useful... tho u mite wanna concentrate on improving ur grammer... its not bad but not perfect either...

Sangeetha said...

I thought 3 mistakes was not great.. but I really loved the way he put together all those facts wid the story.. the earthquake, the match,the riots... he must have done super duper research..